Jazzing Up the Day

Just my rumbling mumbling about what i do everyday

Thursday, April 22, 2004

Today, I just found out that Wiranto has been elected to be the Indonesian president candidate from the most powerful party Golkar. Hearing this news, I was pretty shocked. The more shocking thing is that some of my friends actually supports his candidacy. What the heck? What happen to my Indonesia? Don't they all know that this guy is considered as an alleged war criminal by UN. Yes, by UN. It's not like CIA or Western Intelligence or something like that, it's the UN.

I don't really know what direction my country going right now. The election will be on early July. I still don't have a definite candidate to elect. Probably I would put that Amien Rais guy on top because he is a pretty clean figure, a very educated guy (he got his Master degree from University of Illinois Chicago) and his commitment to reformation is pretty well documented. The problem is that a lot of Indonesian have a trouble recognizing this guy's good traits. When he announced that he will be running for President, some Indonesian called him ambitious and arrogant. When he impeached Gus Dur, people say he stabbed Gus Dur's back without recognizing the fact that more than 80% of the parliament was against Gus Dur and so on. So this guy probably will not win the election.

This probably left me with SBY who has been hyped as the best candidate. The way this guy rise up to the candidacy kind of scares me. It reminds me on how Megawati first breakthrough to the political scene. It was from sympathy. People sympathize how SBY being left out and applauded him for resigning from his office. Well, I think it is not a great or courageous feat. I have never heard much about him before that incident. His military background kind of scares me too. Some people accused him (as No.2 in Jakarta Garrison) on helping plan a raid the PDI-P's offices that killed 5 reformists and many more were lost.

O well...The election is still in a couple of months..Let's hope that Wiranto guy will not win.

LISTENING TO: Pendulum - Ulah Manusia

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home