Jazzing Up the Day

Just my rumbling mumbling about what i do everyday

Saturday, June 11, 2005

Before Sunrise

One night, I was having a little insomnia as it was around midnight when I decided to watch "Before Sunrise". I suddenly found this DVD lying around my bedroom, probably my bro already owned it for some time but I was not aware of it. I have already watched Before Sunset and was really impressed by it. The strong dialogue, the sort of immense feeling that sparked between Jesse and Celine (looked very real, talking about chemistry!). One of very few romantic movies that I'm really fond of.

To caution the impatient, Hollywood-loving type moviegoers. This movie is not for you! But if you are looking for a movie that is genuine with incredible character depth, superb chemistry, simple yet very believable and real this movie is for you guys. The story started when Jesse (Ethan Hawke), an American backpacker met Celine (Julie Delpy), a French gal in a train that goes through Vienna. They instantly connect...they connect in a truest sense. Jesse who's going to catch a flight from Vienna the next morning (after sunrise) manages to pursuade Celine to go with him and spend one night together before Jesse catches a flight back to US. Then this movie just revolves around this 2 people who steadily build their chemistry as the night goes along....that might sound boring for casual moviegoers...but apparently Richard Linklater (writer/director) managed to make the conversation engaging and meaningful (penting!) enough to make me stay in front of my TV. There's a lot of things that they talked about that I can relate to, their observation of people, life and customs. The chemistry they have in the sequel was also alive and well in this movie, I can really see how they slowly build up their feelings of each other as the movie goes along (my favorite scene was the record store scene, classic).

I have watched the sequel "Before Sunset" before watching this one...so that pre-existing condition might make my experience kind of different than other people. On Before Sunset the couple has grown old, experienced a lot ups and downs in life and seemed to be a bit dark about their approach in life and the relationship ...while in "Before Sunrise" they are still young, passionate and enthusiastic about living the life the fullest..ohh I can relate to that a lot :D.

After watching this movie...I really long for a moment when I meet someone at the bus/train/plane and connect tremendously and spend some time together...imagine doing that in Jakarta......people would be Parno first before it even get started :P. OK, I probably should go backpacking up to Europe, buy a Eurorail pass and hope I can meet a woman like Celine ahhaha :D

"Before Sunrise" is a must-watch and deserved to be in my main DVD collection and I will be watching this movie again for a couple more times. Great script/writing, great chemistry, simple yet very real premise = classic movie.

9.5/10

1 Comments:

  • At 12:01 AM, Blogger Dhania said…

    great movie!! though I love "before sunset" better coz ethan hawke looks even cuter in that sequel =P

     

Post a Comment

<< Home